Saturday, May 17, 2008

Finding your inspiration - the problem

Sometimes when you're faced with that blank paper/page/screen/journalling box you know vaguely what you want to put, but you can't start.

So approach it sideways. Start by defining the problem. Start with

  • What I want to write about is...
  • It's difficult to write about because...
  • What I want it to end up like is...
  • What I want people to think when they read this is...

By the time you've thoroughly explored the problem, you might find you've actually got the bones of what you want to write already there. At the very least you should have a better idea of how to start - so pick one of the other general journaling prompts and see if you can now start.


What I want to write about is our new garden - but it's difficult to write about because I usually journal about people and a garden isn't anything like as interesting.
What I want it to end up like is just a record of the garden changing from a mess to a lovely place to sit, after years of neglect. Perhaps I want to give a feel of why it's such a big thing - is it ok to mention cost? - and how it makes me feel already and how I hope it will make me feel?

No comments: